Fruita Schoolhouse
"Fruita residents donated the land, materials, and labor for this schoolhouse and the money for teachers' pay. The building opened in 1896. Eight grades were taught in one room with eight to 26 students attending classes at any one time. The building also served as a community meeting place, Sunday school, and Saturday night social center. The school closed in 1941 due to declining enrollment; the few remaining Fruita students were then bused to consolidated area schools." (copyright NPS)

Index      Previous      Next

Previous photo Next photo Thumbnail page

DATE: 10/11/05 12:46 PM   |  

Order printing and delivery of this image Order prints


Generated by JAlbum 5.2   Design inspired by Exhibit Engine
   
Index      Previous      Next